Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pseudomom

I have a wonderful new son/friend/companion/playmate. I am not sure where I fit into his life yet. He is almost 5. So right now if I give him cereal and graham crackers and take his side from time to time in the fights over toys he thinks I'm alright. I am not his real mom, and he makes sure to correct everyone who guesses otherwise. He is right, and I don't want to be. He and I have tentatively forged our relationship. There were few struggles as we both found our equally important places in his dad's life. He is fun and interesting and an immediate favorite amongst my own four. It is a different thing entirely to win the heart of one who has no obligation to like you. So my little friend and I ride the rollercoaster just like I do with my kids. I enjoy the sweet things. The smiles, the hugs, the things that let me know he has accepted me in his life. I sigh over the emotional things. They are there too. I hope he will always see me as his friend. As another person amongst the many that care about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment